<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>        <rss version="2.0"
             xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"
             xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
             xmlns:sy="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/"
             xmlns:admin="http://webns.net/mvcb/"
             xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
             xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/">
        <channel>
            <title>
									Scholarcy Reviews - Welcome to Stackinsight community. Join the discussion about products and tools for work Forum				            </title>
            <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/</link>
            <description>Welcome to Stackinsight community. Join the discussion about products and tools for work Discussion Board</description>
            <language>en-US</language>
            <lastBuildDate>Fri, 02 Oct 2026 11:14:54 +0000</lastBuildDate>
            <generator>wpForo</generator>
            <ttl>60</ttl>
							                    <item>
                        <title>Help: Parsing fails on older scanned PDFs, any OCR settings?</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/help-parsing-fails-on-older-scanned-pdfs-any-ocr-settings/</link>
                        <pubDate>Mon, 28 Sep 2026 17:50:50 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Hi everyone,

I&#039;ve been seeing a recurring issue come up in a few threads and wanted to consolidate the discussion. Several users, myself included, have run into problems when using Scholarc...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Hi everyone,

I've been seeing a recurring issue come up in a few threads and wanted to consolidate the discussion. Several users, myself included, have run into problems when using Scholarcy to parse older scanned PDFs—think pre-2000 journal articles or book chapters that are essentially just images of the page. The parsing often fails, returns garbled text, or misses entire sections.

From what I understand, Scholarcy does have some built-in OCR capabilities, but the settings aren't exactly front-and-center. I'm wondering if anyone has found a reliable workflow or specific settings tweak for these tougher documents. For instance, are you pre-processing the scans with another dedicated OCR tool (like Adobe Scan or ABBYY) before feeding them into Scholarcy? If so, what format and settings give you the best results for Scholarcy to then summarize correctly?

Also, if the Scholarcy team is listening, some clarity on the OCR engine's limits and any planned improvements would be incredibly helpful for the community. These older documents are a common pain point in academic workflows.

Let's share what's working and what isn't.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/">Scholarcy Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>ericd</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/help-parsing-fails-on-older-scanned-pdfs-any-ocr-settings/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Comparison: Citation extraction - Scholarcy vs Zotero&#039;s built-in PDF parser</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/comparison-citation-extraction-scholarcy-vs-zoteros-built-in-pdf-parser-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Mon, 28 Sep 2026 17:36:38 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Okay, I have to get this out there because I’ve been living in my testing sandbox for the past two weeks, and the results are genuinely surprising. We all know that for serious literature re...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Okay, I have to get this out there because I’ve been living in my testing sandbox for the past two weeks, and the results are genuinely surprising. We all know that for serious literature reviews or building a knowledge base, clean citation data is everything. It’s the foundation, like having a clean CRM database before you launch a nurture campaign. Messy data here breaks everything downstream.

I was a loyal Zotero user for years, trusting its built-in PDF parser to grab metadata when I dragged in a PDF. But after hearing some buzz about Scholarcy’s “robust extraction,” I decided to run a structured comparison. My hypothesis was that Zotero, being a dedicated citation manager, would win hands-down. I was... mostly wrong?

Here’s my totally unscientific but methodical test on a batch of 20 recent academic PDFs (mix of journal articles, conference proceedings, and a couple of pre-prints). I looked at three core dimensions:

*   **Accuracy of Core Metadata:** Author names, publication year, journal title, volume/issue, page numbers.
*   **Handling of “Messy” or Non-Standard Sources:** Conference papers, arXiv pre-prints, older scanned PDFs.
*   **Speed &amp; Workflow Integration:** The sheer friction (or lack thereof) in getting a usable reference.

My findings were fascinating. Zotero’s parser is fast and brilliantly integrated. You drag, it fetches. For *standard* journal articles from major publishers (Elsevier, Springer, etc.), it’s fantastic. But the moment I threw in a conference paper from ACM or a PDF from a smaller society, the failure rate shot up. It would often return only a title, or worse, guess completely wrong journal data.

Scholarcy, on the other hand, approached it differently. It’s not a one-click import in the same way. You upload the PDF to Scholarcy, and it creates that summary “flashcard.” But the citation extraction, for me, was consistently more **resilient**. Even on quirky PDFs, it managed to pull author lists and years correctly about 80% more often than Zotero in my problem batch. It seems to lean harder on direct PDF parsing rather than relying primarily on DOI/identifier lookups, which is a double-edged sword.

The real trade-off isn’t accuracy, though—it’s workflow. Scholarcy gives you a beautifully formatted citation you can copy, but it’s a separate tool. It doesn’t *populate your Zotero library directly*. So you’re looking at a copy-paste step. For me, this is the crux:

*   **Zotero's Parser:** Deeply integrated, fast, but inconsistent with non-standard sources. You might get a blank entry you have to manually fill, which defeats the purpose.
*   **Scholarcy's Extraction:** More consistently accurate across varied sources, but lives outside your reference manager, adding a step.

I’m now experimenting with a hybrid workflow: using Scholarcy as my first-pass PDF analyzer and citation extractor for tricky papers, then manually ensuring the data gets into Zotero. It’s less seamless, but the data quality is higher.

Has anyone else tried this comparison? I’m particularly curious if anyone has found a way to bridge these tools more effectively, maybe with some clever scripting? The dream would be Scholarcy’s parsing engine feeding directly into a Zotero entry.

— Emma]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/">Scholarcy Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>EmmaF</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/comparison-citation-extraction-scholarcy-vs-zoteros-built-in-pdf-parser-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Migrated from Scholarcy to Zotero with plugins - 5 months of feedback</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/migrated-from-scholarcy-to-zotero-with-plugins-5-months-of-feedback-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Mon, 28 Sep 2026 02:10:56 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[After using Scholarcy for about a year for my literature reviews, I switched to a Zotero setup five months ago. The subscription cost was a factor, but I was more concerned about being locke...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[After using Scholarcy for about a year for my literature reviews, I switched to a Zotero setup five months ago. The subscription cost was a factor, but I was more concerned about being locked into a single platform.

My current workflow is Zotero with the Zotfile and Mdnotes plugins. It's more manual than Scholarcy's auto-summary, but I feel more in control of my highlights and notes. For anyone else coming from a help desk/ITSM background, the comparison feels like using a configured Jira Service Management project versus an out-of-the-box solution. You trade some initial automation for deeper customization.

Has anyone else made a similar switch? I'm curious about long-term maintenance of this setup versus an all-in-one tool.

bg]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/">Scholarcy Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>brian_g</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/migrated-from-scholarcy-to-zotero-with-plugins-5-months-of-feedback-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Switched from manual coding in NVivo to Scholarcy + follow-up. Mixed feelings.</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/switched-from-manual-coding-in-nvivo-to-scholarcy-follow-up-mixed-feelings-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Fri, 25 Sep 2026 17:41:23 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[After years of using NVivo for deep thematic analysis on procurement and contract documents, I decided to try Scholarcy to accelerate the initial literature review and summary phase. My work...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[After years of using NVivo for deep thematic analysis on procurement and contract documents, I decided to try Scholarcy to accelerate the initial literature review and summary phase. My workflow involved extracting key clauses, SLAs, and pricing models from academic papers and industry reports, and I hoped Scholarcy would give me back hours of manual coding.

The good is genuinely good. The summary flashcards are a solid starting point.
*   It excels at pulling out **structured abstracts and key concepts** from dense PDFs. I no longer have to manually highlight what the authors claim as their contribution or methodology.
*   The **reference extraction** is a time-saver. Seeing the full citation immediately and being able to jump to it is fantastic for building a bibliography.
*   For **vendor risk assessment**, it quickly surfaces mentions of "limitations," "future work," or "risk factors" that I might have skimmed over.

However, moving from a highly controlled environment like NVivo to Scholarcy's more automated approach has created some friction in my process.
*   **The "key findings" can be too generic.** For my needs, I need to isolate specific contractual language or pricing structures. Scholarcy will give me a broad summary, but I often have to go back into the source to find the exact, nuanced phrasing that matters for vendor evaluation.
*   **Linking related concepts across documents** is not Scholarcy's strength. In NVivo, I could code a snippet about "liquidated damages" across 50 contracts and see all instances together. Scholarcy treats each document as an island. My follow-up step now involves taking Scholarcy's summaries and *importing them* into a separate tool to find those cross-document themes.
*   **The pricing model for the premium features gave me pause.** As someone obsessed with pricing transparency, the jump from the free tier to getting batch processing and more flashcards felt significant for an individual researcher. I wish there was a middle-ground, pay-as-you-go option for project-based work.

My current workflow is: Scholarcy for initial triage and summary -&gt; export key points to a structured template in Notion -&gt; use NVivo for deep-dive analysis on a smaller, curated document set. It's an extra step, but it's faster than the purely manual approach.

I'm curious if anyone else has come from a qualitative analysis background and how you've integrated Scholarcy. Did you find a way to make its output more "code-able" for thematic work? Any tips on the batch processing setup for a literature review on a specific topic, like service level agreements?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/">Scholarcy Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>frank_d</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/switched-from-manual-coding-in-nvivo-to-scholarcy-follow-up-mixed-feelings-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Hot take: Scholarcy&#039;s flashcards are a gimmick, the summary is the only useful part</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/hot-take-scholarcys-flashcards-are-a-gimmick-the-summary-is-the-only-useful-part-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Fri, 25 Sep 2026 17:10:54 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[I&#039;ve been using Scholarcy for a few months now to help me digest academic papers, mostly in data engineering and distributed systems. The core summary feature is genuinely useful for my work...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[I've been using Scholarcy for a few months now to help me digest academic papers, mostly in data engineering and distributed systems. The core summary feature is genuinely useful for my workflow—it pulls out key methods and findings into a digestible format, which saves me a ton of time.

But I have to agree with the title. The flashcard feature feels like a tacked-on gimmick. For the kind of technical content I process, the flashcards often create oversimplified or decontextualized bullet points. Trying to memorize a concept like "exactly-once semantics" from a one-sentence flashcard is worse than useless; it can be misleading. The value is in the connected summary that shows *how* a paper approaches the problem.

I'm curious if others have found a real use for the flashcards, especially for technical or research material. Maybe I'm using it wrong? My workflow is basically: upload PDF -&gt; read the summary -&gt; sometimes export the highlights to a note-taking app. The flashcards step is always skipped.

It also makes me a bit nervous about relying on any automated extraction for actual learning. In data pipelines, we're careful about not losing context when aggregating data. This feels similar—the summary is a good aggregation, but the flashcards are a lossy transformation that removes too much.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/">Scholarcy Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>data_pipeline_rookie</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/hot-take-scholarcys-flashcards-are-a-gimmick-the-summary-is-the-only-useful-part-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Help: Scholarcy&#039;s highlight export to Notion is broken for me</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/help-scholarcys-highlight-export-to-notion-is-broken-for-me-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Fri, 25 Sep 2026 14:15:42 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Scholarcy&#039;s Notion export feature is failing for me. The &quot;Export Highlights&quot; button generates a `.csv` file, but the content is malformed. Instead of clean, separated rows for each highlight...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Scholarcy's Notion export feature is failing for me. The "Export Highlights" button generates a `.csv` file, but the content is malformed. Instead of clean, separated rows for each highlight, I get a single, messy cell with all text concatenated.

My workflow:
1. Process a research PDF in Scholarcy.
2. Review and confirm highlights/summary cards.
3. Click "Export Highlights" and select "Notion CSV".
4. Resulting CSV fails to import into Notion correctly.

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm looking for:
* A confirmed workaround.
* If this is a known bug with Scholarcy or a Notion API change.
* Any alternative methods to get structured data into Notion without manual copying.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/">Scholarcy Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>Aiden Chen</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/help-scholarcys-highlight-export-to-notion-is-broken-for-me-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Is the &#039;related articles&#039; feature actually useful or just noise?</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/is-the-related-articles-feature-actually-useful-or-just-noise-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Tue, 25 Aug 2026 05:11:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Hey everyone, I&#039;ve been trying out Scholarcy to help with my cloud learning, especially with AWS whitepapers and Terraform docs.

I keep seeing the &#039;related articles&#039; panel, but I&#039;m not sure...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Hey everyone, I've been trying out Scholarcy to help with my cloud learning, especially with AWS whitepapers and Terraform docs.

I keep seeing the 'related articles' panel, but I'm not sure if I should pay attention. For a beginner, is it actually helpful for finding deeper context? Or does it just distract with too many extra links? I worry about going down a rabbit hole when I'm just trying to grasp the basics.

Has anyone found it genuinely useful for building knowledge step-by-step? Maybe with serverless or Kubernetes topics?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/">Scholarcy Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>cloud_infra_rookie</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/is-the-related-articles-feature-actually-useful-or-just-noise-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Scholarcy pricing feedback - is the pro tier worth it for corporate R&amp;D</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/scholarcy-pricing-feedback-is-the-pro-tier-worth-it-for-corporate-rd-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Mon, 24 Aug 2026 01:21:00 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[We’re evaluating tools to help our R&amp;D team parse and summarize large volumes of academic papers and technical reports. Scholarcy keeps coming up. The free tier is decent for occasional ...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[We’re evaluating tools to help our R&amp;D team parse and summarize large volumes of academic papers and technical reports. Scholarcy keeps coming up. The free tier is decent for occasional use, but we need to scale.

The Pro tier pricing looks like this per user:
- **Monthly:** ~$12
- **Annual:** ~$9/month

Main questions for anyone using it in a corporate/team setting:

*   Is the “unlimited” library and highlighting robust enough for 100s of PDFs per user? Any export limits that become a pain?
*   The “Flashcard” batch summary feature – is it consistent? We’d likely feed it a folder of PDFs weekly.
*   API access is listed as “coming soon” on their site. Anyone have beta access or details? This is a big factor for us to integrate into our internal knowledge base.

Our alternative is building something in-house with a mix of LLM APIs and PDF parsers, but the pre-built summarization and reference extraction seems like a time-saver.

Biggest pitfall so far in testing: it sometimes misses key technical diagrams or tables in complex CS papers. Not a dealbreaker, but worth noting.

— chrisw]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/">Scholarcy Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>ChrisW</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/scholarcy-pricing-feedback-is-the-pro-tier-worth-it-for-corporate-rd-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Results after 6 months: Reliable for STEM, unreliable for social sciences.</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/results-after-6-months-reliable-for-stem-unreliable-for-social-sciences/</link>
                        <pubDate>Sat, 22 Aug 2026 21:15:55 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[I’ve been using Scholarcy for half a year now to help parse through research papers and technical documentation, mostly in my observability/SRE domain. The goal was to speed up literature re...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[I’ve been using Scholarcy for half a year now to help parse through research papers and technical documentation, mostly in my observability/SRE domain. The goal was to speed up literature reviews during quieter on-call hours. My verdict is pretty clear-cut: it’s become a reliable tool for STEM material, but I’d hesitate to recommend it for social sciences or humanities papers.

For STEM, especially computer science and engineering papers, it excels:
* Extracts key formulas, algorithms, and metrics with high accuracy.
* The summary bullets correctly capture methodology and results sections.
* Tables of experimental data are cleanly parsed, which is great for quick reference.
* It handles the structured IMRaD (Introduction, Methods, Results, and Discussion) format predictably.

Where it stumbles is with less structured social science articles. I tested it on a few papers from psychology and sociology colleagues:
* Nuanced arguments and theoretical frameworks often get oversimplified or lost.
* It sometimes misidentifies the main claim when the language is qualitative.
* References to specific schools of thought can be stripped of their context.
* The “key points” can feel reductive, missing the critical discourse analysis.

From a workflow perspective, I pipe PDFs into it and then sometimes push key extracted data points (like study sample sizes or performance figures) into a small Prometheus textfile collector for tracking trends across papers. It’s a niche use, but it works.

```yaml
# Example of a simple script to parse a Scholarcy output JSON for a metric
- name: parse_study_sample_size
  json_query:
    path: $.extracted_tables.data
  # Then write to a file for node_exporter's textfile collector
```

Ultimately, it’s a powerful tool for my field, where precision and structured data are paramount. For anyone in social sciences, I’d suggest a lengthy trial period to see if its style of summarization aligns with your needs. The reliability just isn't the same.

zzz]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/">Scholarcy Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>grafana_knight_shift</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/results-after-6-months-reliable-for-stem-unreliable-for-social-sciences/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Anyone else find the interface clunky compared to modern web apps?</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/anyone-else-find-the-interface-clunky-compared-to-modern-web-apps-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Thu, 20 Aug 2026 16:41:05 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[I&#039;ve been using Scholarcy for about six months now to help summarize academic papers for my automation research, and while the core summarization tech is solid, I can&#039;t shake the feeling tha...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[I've been using Scholarcy for about six months now to help summarize academic papers for my automation research, and while the core summarization tech is solid, I can't shake the feeling that the UI feels outdated. It reminds me of web apps from a decade ago.

The main friction points for me are:
*   The reading pane feels cramped, and adjusting text size or layout isn't intuitive. Compared to something like a modern documentation tool (e.g., Notion or even Obsidian), it's less fluid.
*   The dashboard for managing my library lacks simple drag-and-drop or batch actions. I often find myself clicking through multiple menus for tasks that should be one-click.
*   The highlighting and note-taking features work, but they don't feel snappy. There's a slight lag that breaks my flow when I'm trying to extract key points quickly.

I'm wondering if this is just me being picky because I work with so many streamlined DevOps/CI-CD dashboards all day. Has anyone else run into this? Have you found any workarounds or settings that make the experience smoother?

For a tool that's all about efficiency and parsing information fast, the interface itself shouldn't be the bottleneck. I'd love to see a more modern, responsive design in a future update.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/">Scholarcy Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>CarlosM</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-scholarcy/anyone-else-find-the-interface-clunky-compared-to-modern-web-apps-2/</guid>
                    </item>
							        </channel>
        </rss>
		