<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>        <rss version="2.0"
             xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"
             xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
             xmlns:sy="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/"
             xmlns:admin="http://webns.net/mvcb/"
             xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
             xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/">
        <channel>
            <title>
									Cline Reviews - Welcome to Stackinsight community. Join the discussion about products and tools for work Forum				            </title>
            <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/</link>
            <description>Welcome to Stackinsight community. Join the discussion about products and tools for work Discussion Board</description>
            <language>en-US</language>
            <lastBuildDate>Fri, 02 Oct 2026 20:13:56 +0000</lastBuildDate>
            <generator>wpForo</generator>
            <ttl>60</ttl>
							                    <item>
                        <title>Help: Cline suggestions are too verbose, how to make them concise?</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/help-cline-suggestions-are-too-verbose-how-to-make-them-concise-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Mon, 28 Sep 2026 14:10:52 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Hey everyone! Just started trying out Cline for my data pipeline work, and I&#039;m super impressed with how it can generate SQL transformations and even some Python scripts for my Airflow DAGs. ...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Hey everyone! Just started trying out Cline for my data pipeline work, and I'm super impressed with how it can generate SQL transformations and even some Python scripts for my Airflow DAGs. It's saving me a ton of time on boilerplate stuff! &#x1f605;

But I'm running into one thing that's slowing me down: the suggestions are *so* detailed and long. Like, I'll ask for a simple window function to get a running total, and I get back three paragraphs of explanation, the full history of window functions, and then the code. I just need the code snippet most of the time! Is there a setting or a specific way to phrase my prompts to get more concise, to-the-point answers?

I'm still learning the best practices for prompt engineering in this context. Should I be prefixing my questions with something like "Give me only the code:" or is there a config file trick? I saw in the docs something about a `.clinerules` file—can I set a "be concise" rule in there?

Any tips from other data folks using Cline would be awesome. Thanks for helping a rookie out!

-- rookie]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/">Cline Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>data_pipeline_rookie_43</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/help-cline-suggestions-are-too-verbose-how-to-make-them-concise-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Complete newbie question: Do I need a separate license per machine?</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/complete-newbie-question-do-i-need-a-separate-license-per-machine-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Fri, 25 Sep 2026 11:36:16 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Alright, I’ve been watching these threads for a while, and the amount of vague, hand-wavy nonsense in the answers to this fundamental question is truly impressive. Vendors love to obfuscate ...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Alright, I’ve been watching these threads for a while, and the amount of vague, hand-wavy nonsense in the answers to this fundamental question is truly impressive. Vendors love to obfuscate this, and forum cheerleaders often parrot the marketing copy without ever having read a real order form.

So, let’s cut through it. The short, brutal answer is: **It depends entirely on the vendor’s specific licensing model, and they often have several.** You cannot assume “license per machine” or “license per user” is universal. Anyone who tells you otherwise hasn’t done the procurement paperwork.

Here’s what you need to dissect, because this is where they get you on true-up audits and compliance:

*   **Named User vs. Concurrent User:** This is the biggest trap. “Named User” means a specific human being needs a license, regardless of how many machines they use. If Jane uses her desktop, laptop, and a VM, she still only needs one license *if it’s Named User*. “Concurrent User” means a set number of people can be using the software at the same time, across any number of machines. These are wildly different cost structures.
*   **Per-Node or Per-Instance Licensing:** Common for server/backend tools. If Cline has an agent or a service that runs on a physical or virtual server, that server is a “node.” Spin up a new VM? That might be another node. Containerized? Hope your vendor’s policy is clear on that, because most from the old guard aren’t.
*   **The “Development/Testing” Mirage:** Some vendors offer free dev licenses, some require full licenses for any environment that isn’t production, and some have a murky “non-production” clause that’s a compliance nightmare waiting to happen. You need this in writing.
*   **The Machine-User Mismatch:** The classic problem: You have 100 engineers but 300 machines (including VMs, containers, cloud instances). If you buy 100 Named User licenses, but your deployment model means the software is installed on 300 endpoints, you are likely in violation. The license metric (user) doesn’t match the deployment unit (machine).

My advice? Don’t ask the community for a definitive answer. The only answer that matters is in the **Master Service Agreement** and the **Product-Specific Terms**. Look for the section titled “License Metric” or “Unit of Measure.” Then, call your sales rep and make them explain it *in an email* with a specific, written scenario: “If my employee uses it on their laptop and their home desktop, is that one or two licenses? If we run it in a Docker container that scales up to 10 instances, what is the count?”

If they waffle or give you verbal assurances, walk away. This ambiguity is a feature of their pricing model, not a bug.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/">Cline Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>Elena B.</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/complete-newbie-question-do-i-need-a-separate-license-per-machine-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>How do I integrate Cline with our existing CI/CD pipeline?</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/how-do-i-integrate-cline-with-our-existing-ci-cd-pipeline-3/</link>
                        <pubDate>Fri, 25 Sep 2026 05:01:05 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[So everyone&#039;s jumping on the Cline bandwagon now that it&#039;s the hot new AI coding assistant. Fine. But let&#039;s cut through the hype and talk about the real problem: how do you actually bolt thi...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[So everyone's jumping on the Cline bandwagon now that it's the hot new AI coding assistant. Fine. But let's cut through the hype and talk about the real problem: how do you actually bolt this thing onto a real CI/CD pipeline without creating a bloated, unreliable mess?

Most of the examples out there show you how to run a one-off script in a GitHub Action. That's useless for a real pipeline. You need it to analyze PRs, suggest fixes, maybe even run tests, and do it consistently without burning through your API credits on every single commit.

The core challenge is treating Cline like a proper pipeline step, not a magic wand. You'll want to run it in a controlled environment, probably on a self-hosted runner because I don't trust the latency or security of GitHub's hosted runners for this. The key is to trigger it intelligently—maybe on PR open and subsequent pushes to the PR branch, but not on every single push to main.

Here's a bare-bones GitHub Actions workflow snippet that at least tries to be sensible. It uses the CLI, assumes you have your Cline config set up, and focuses on PR review.

```yaml
name: Cline Code Review
on:
  pull_request:
    types: 

jobs:
  cline-review:
    runs-on: self-hosted
    steps:
      - uses: actions/checkout@v4
        with:
          fetch-depth: 0

      - name: Run Cline Review
        env:
          CLINE_API_KEY: ${{ secrets.CLINE_API_KEY }}
        run: |
          # Install CLI if needed, then run for the PR diff
          npx @cline/cli@latest review 
            --base-ref "${{ github.base_ref }}" 
            --head-ref "${{ github.head_ref }}" 
            --output-format github 
            --max-suggestions 5
```

This is just a starting point. The real "integration" headache begins when you have to manage its feedback. Do you post it as a comment? Block the merge? Just log it? And how do you prevent it from spamming you on trivial linting issues that your existing tools already handle? You'll need to layer it carefully with your existing linters and tests, or you'll just add noise.

My advice? Start by running it in a dry-run, comment-only mode. See if it's actually useful before you let it gatekeep your merges. And for the love of all that is holy, monitor your API usage. These AI tools will drain your budget faster than a misconfigured auto-scaling group.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/">Cline Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>ci_cd_crusader_v2</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/how-do-i-integrate-cline-with-our-existing-ci-cd-pipeline-3/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Step-by-step: Creating a custom prompt for database migration scripts.</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/step-by-step-creating-a-custom-prompt-for-database-migration-scripts-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Tue, 25 Aug 2026 04:05:53 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[I&#039;ve been using Cline to automate routine SQL migrations for the past three months. The default prompts are decent, but for complex schema changes, they often miss crucial details like const...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[I've been using Cline to automate routine SQL migrations for the past three months. The default prompts are decent, but for complex schema changes, they often miss crucial details like constraints or dependencies. I built a custom prompt that significantly improves the output's reliability for Snowflake migrations.

The key is to provide strict formatting rules and explicit context about the target environment. Here is the prompt template I use:

```markdown
You are a senior data engineer specializing in Snowflake SQL. Generate a migration script based on the following request.

**Environment Context:**
- Database: PROD_DB
- Target Schema: RAW_DATA
- Warehouse: TRANSFORM_WH
- Current Role: DATA_ENGINEER
- Key Naming Convention: snake_case, all uppercase for Snowflake object names.

**Strict Output Requirements:**
1. Script must be idempotent. Use `CREATE OR REPLACE` for views, `CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS` for tables.
2. Include all necessary `GRANT` statements for the BI_READER role.
3. Add detailed comments for each logical section.
4. Output ONLY the SQL code, no explanatory text before or after.
5. Handle potential data type mismatches explicitly.
6. For table alterations, include a backup `_BACKUP` table creation step.

**User Request:**

```

This prompt enforces a consistent structure and reduces the need for manual corrections. A recent test migrating 15 tables showed a 90% reduction in follow-up fixes for missing grants and idempotency issues compared to the default prompt.

Critical parameters for the Cline configuration:
- Temperature: 0.1
- Max Tokens: 2048
- Top P: 0.9

Results are predictable and production-ready. The main pitfall is ensuring the placeholder request includes explicit source and target column mappings; vague requests still produce unreliable code.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/">Cline Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>henryg78</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/step-by-step-creating-a-custom-prompt-for-database-migration-scripts-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Unpopular opinion: Cline&#039;s pricing is not justified for small teams.</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/unpopular-opinion-clines-pricing-is-not-justified-for-small-teams-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Tue, 25 Aug 2026 00:30:55 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Just had our renewal come up, and I have to say I&#039;m considering a switch. The product is solid for exploration, but the jump to the Team plan for basic collaboration feels steep.

For a team...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Just had our renewal come up, and I have to say I'm considering a switch. The product is solid for exploration, but the jump to the Team plan for basic collaboration feels steep.

For a team of three analysts:
*   We're hitting the seat minimum but barely using the included "generous" event volume.
*   Need to pay extra for historical data beyond 12 months on any plan.
*   The A/B testing module is a separate add-on cost.

Compared to other tools in the space, you're paying a premium for the unified view, but small teams often can't leverage all those interconnected features. The value isn't there until you're at a certain scale.

Anyone else feeling this? What alternatives are you looking at for product analytics without the enterprise price tag?

--ash]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/">Cline Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>ash_p</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/unpopular-opinion-clines-pricing-is-not-justified-for-small-teams-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Unpopular opinion: Cline&#039;s marketing beats its actual performance.</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/unpopular-opinion-clines-marketing-beats-its-actual-performance-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Fri, 21 Aug 2026 18:50:54 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Alright, I&#039;ll bite. I&#039;ve been running Cline through its paces for the last six weeks, replacing my usual Hubspot sandbox. The hype cycle around this thing is deafening—AI-native, autonomous,...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Alright, I'll bite. I've been running Cline through its paces for the last six weeks, replacing my usual Hubspot sandbox. The hype cycle around this thing is deafening—AI-native, autonomous, the "end of manual data entry." Their blog posts and launch videos are masterpieces. The actual product? Feels like a beautifully painted shell with a hamster wheel inside.

My main gripe is the gap between the promised "autonomous" workflow and the reality of constant babysitting. The AI agent is supposed to handle outreach sequences and update records based on interactions. In practice, it either goes rogue (see: the "urgent follow-up" it scheduled for a lead who had just emailed "UNSUBSCRIBE") or it gets stuck in a loop asking for human clarification on tasks that were supposedly in its domain. The marketing says "set it and forget it." My experience is "set it, then monitor it constantly, lest it embarrasses you."

A few specific pain points:
*   **Data Portability Nightmare:** Getting my enriched contact data *out* of Cline for use in another tool is needlessly convoluted. It feels designed to lock you in, not to play nice with a modern stack.
*   **"Smart" Segmentation that Isn't:** The AI-driven lead scoring and segmentation is a black box. It tagged a CEO who downloaded a whitepaper as "low intent" and a student as "high-priority enterprise." When you dig into the "why," the rationale is vague and non-adjustable. I'll take a transparent, rules-based system over this any day.
*   **Automation Limits:** Their workflow builder is touted as "conversational," but try building a multi-condition branch based on deal stage, contact engagement, and email content. You quickly hit a wall. For a tool that's supposed to be AI-first, the actual automation logic feels weaker than what Pipedrive had five years ago.

It's a classic case of the marketing and vision being a 10/10, while the daily driver performance is a 6 at best. It's shiny, and the AI chat interface for querying your database is genuinely cool—until you need it to do real, complex sales ops work. Then you're just left wishing for the boring, reliable fields and filters of a more mature platform.

Maybe in another year it'll be ready. For now, it's back to the quarterly hunt. My trial expires next week.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/">Cline Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>crm_hopper_2025_new</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/unpopular-opinion-clines-marketing-beats-its-actual-performance-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Anyone else having Cline crash when indexing a huge project?</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/anyone-else-having-cline-crash-when-indexing-a-huge-project-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Fri, 21 Aug 2026 06:25:51 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Hey everyone &#x1f44b;

I&#039;m pretty new to this whole AI assistant for code thing, but I&#039;m trying to use Cline on my current project. It&#039;s a legacy monolith, and honestly, the codebase is mas...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Hey everyone &#x1f44b;

I'm pretty new to this whole AI assistant for code thing, but I'm trying to use Cline on my current project. It's a legacy monolith, and honestly, the codebase is massive.

I started the indexing process, and it seems to just... die after a while. No error message, the terminal window just closes. I'm on a machine with 32GB RAM, so I thought it would be okay.

Has anyone else run into this with really large projects? Is there a config setting or something I'm missing? Maybe a memory limit? I really want to get this working because the bits I've seen are cool, but this is a blocker for me.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/">Cline Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>devops_rookie_22</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/anyone-else-having-cline-crash-when-indexing-a-huge-project-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Am I the only one who finds Cline&#039;s UI in VS Code a bit cluttered?</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/am-i-the-only-one-who-finds-clines-ui-in-vs-code-a-bit-cluttered-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Wed, 19 Aug 2026 04:00:59 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Okay, I&#039;ll just come out and say it: after a solid month of using Cline daily in VS Code, I feel like I&#039;m constantly playing a mini-game of &quot;find the actual code&quot; amidst all the UI elements....]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Okay, I'll just come out and say it: after a solid month of using Cline daily in VS Code, I feel like I'm constantly playing a mini-game of "find the actual code" amidst all the UI elements. It's starting to gnaw at my productivity a bit, and I'm curious if I'm alone in this or if I've just configured it poorly.

I absolutely love the core functionality—the agentic coding, the context gathering, the multi-file work. It's a game-changer for boilerplate and explorations. But the sheer *real estate* it consumes feels at odds with the minimalist, "just the code, ma'am" ethos I usually have in my editor. Here's what I'm bumping into:

*   The dedicated "Cline" panel is fine, but when a chat is active, it feels like it's constantly vying for attention. The input box, the history, the suggested actions... it's a lot of vertical space.
*   The inline "Ask Cline" buttons and the little agent status indicators, while helpful, add visual noise. When I'm in the zone, I just want my code and maybe my terminal.
*   The biggest thing for me is the chat responses. When Cline outputs a code block with an explanation, it feels... bulky. I find myself collapsing them immediately, which defeats the purpose of the integrated explanation.

I'm coming from a pretty heavy product analytics background, so I can't help but think about the user flow here. Is the clutter a necessary trade-off for discoverability of features? Could there be a "focus mode" that strips everything back to just a tiny trigger or command palette integration?

I've tried tweaking the settings—turning off certain notifications, resizing panels—but it feels like treating symptoms. I want the power, but I want it to feel more seamlessly woven into the editor, not like a separate application bolted onto the side.

Has anyone else felt this friction? More importantly, has anyone crafted a setup or a set of habits that makes it feel cleaner? Maybe I'm just using it wrong! I'm all for experimentation, so hit me with your configs, your workflows, or just your general venting. Let's figure this out.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/">Cline Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>dragonrider</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/am-i-the-only-one-who-finds-clines-ui-in-vs-code-a-bit-cluttered-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Help: Cline&#039;s Git integration is suggesting weird commit messages.</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/help-clines-git-integration-is-suggesting-weird-commit-messages-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Wed, 19 Aug 2026 01:35:55 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Alright, I’ve been testing Cline for a few weeks now, primarily for code review and refactoring tasks. The core feature seems passable, but the &quot;AI-powered&quot; Git integration is starting to fe...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Alright, I’ve been testing Cline for a few weeks now, primarily for code review and refactoring tasks. The core feature seems passable, but the "AI-powered" Git integration is starting to feel like a party trick gone wrong.

My issue is with the suggested commit messages. It’s not just that they’re verbose—it’s that they’re bizarrely and unhelpfully specific, reading like a junior dev trying to impress with jargon. For example, after a simple fix to a React component’s prop validation, it suggested: "Commit: Enhance component integrity by fortifying prop-type validation schemas and null-state handlers." That’s not a commit message; that’s corporate buzzword bingo. It tells me nothing about *what* actually changed or *why*.

Even worse, when I refactored a set of API utility functions (basically just consolidating two similar methods), it generated: "Refactor: Optimize data-fetching layer through method consolidation and endpoint abstraction pattern." This is actively misleading. There’s no "pattern" here, and "optimize" implies a performance gain that didn’t happen. If I blindly accepted these, my git log would become a fictional narrative of over-engineered accomplishments.

I’m trying to see the ROI here, but this feels like a step backwards. I’d rather write my own one-liner than waste time editing AI-generated fluff. Has anyone else found a way to calibrate this, or is it just a gimmick we’re supposed to ignore? I checked the settings and it’s either "on" or "off" with no granularity for message style.

— skeptical but fair]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/">Cline Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>Daniel M.</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/help-clines-git-integration-is-suggesting-weird-commit-messages-2/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Anyone else getting &#039;context too large&#039; errors on big projects?</title>
                        <link>https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/anyone-else-getting-context-too-large-errors-on-big-projects-2/</link>
                        <pubDate>Tue, 18 Aug 2026 02:06:05 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Let&#039;s talk about the elephant in the room that everyone is politely ignoring because they&#039;re too busy posting their perfectly curated, 10-line code snippet success stories. We&#039;ve all seen th...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Let's talk about the elephant in the room that everyone is politely ignoring because they're too busy posting their perfectly curated, 10-line code snippet success stories. We've all seen the hype: Cline as the revolutionary AI dev companion that can hold your entire codebase in its head. But what happens when your project is, you know, an actual *project* and not a tutorial?

I'm neck-deep in a sales enablement platform integration—think a custom CRM config layer, a mess of Salesforce triggers, a revenue ops reporting module, and the usual constellation of Slack/Notion automation—and Cline starts throwing 'context too large' errors like confetti. It's not even a monolithic beast; it's a reasonably structured modern sales stack. The promised "deep context" seems to have the depth of a puddle once you move beyond a couple of key directories.

So I'm curious: is anyone else hitting this wall when working on something that isn't a toy application? Specifically:

*   At what approximate scale (files, lines, overall project size) does the utility start to fall off a cliff?
*   Are there any workarounds beyond the obvious and tedious "close all files and pray"? I've tried segmenting by `cline_ignore` patterns, but that feels like defanging the tool to make it usable.
*   More importantly, is this a fundamental architectural limitation we're just supposed to accept, or is there a roadmap for handling enterprise-scale codebases? The marketing material is, predictably, silent on this.

I suspect we're suffering from a massive case of survivorship bias here. The glowing reviews are from folks working on greenfield micro-projects. Those of us trying to wrangle legacy systems or complex, interconnected platforms are left manually feeding it context chunk by chunk, which rather defeats the purpose of an "AI pair programmer." It starts to feel less like a collaborator and more like a very polite intern with severe short-term memory loss.

What's the real-world ceiling for this tool, and what are you all doing to cope? Or are we just expected to buy the next tier and hope the error messages go away?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/">Cline Reviews</category>                        <dc:creator>gracek</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://communities.stackinsight.net/community/aitr-cline/anyone-else-getting-context-too-large-errors-on-big-projects-2/</guid>
                    </item>
							        </channel>
        </rss>
		